Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Resources you didn't know you had!

So, we all know health insurance is in chaos right now. Too many new regulations, too many people (like the Dusty Springfield song: just wishing and hoping and thinking and praying . . . planning . . .) for what's to come.

Personal opinion: not enough research was done to define and address the root cause of our problems right now, before passing a bunch of hockey that nobody could read to try to fix it. Until we all understand, acknowledge, and address the actual cost of care, we'll be putting band aids on Mount Saint Helens to stop the lava flow. OK, enough of that. Off soapbox, 'cause it is what it is.

And what it is right now is . . . anyone? Bueller, Bueller, Bueller? chaos!

People who need coverage the most have the hardest time getting it. Well, I can help some of those folks with great products and prices, but for those who fall into that netherworld of: "I'm healthy! Really! I'm FINE as long as I keep my pacemaker battery charged/get my annual brain transplant/keep my raging herpes under control, (insert expensive/difficult treatments of choice here)." These are the folks who need help but have the hardest time getting it.

Here are some options I give my clients when nothing else will work. These resources suit people between the proverbial rock and hard place in this order: 1) the Augusta, Georgia area dubbed CSRA for you local yocals, 2) the great state of Georgia, and 3) the entire US. Check for similar programs in your area and maybe even check with the United Way, in case they have resources or recommendations beyond what I offer. Hey, I'm good, but I haven't been ALIVE as long as United Way has been helping people!

So, here goes. Let me know if this helps you in any way, 'cause that's what I'm here for:

Coverage For All: www.coverageforall.org

Partnership for Prescription Assistance: www.pparx.org

Christ Community Health Services Augusta, Inc.: www.christcommunityaugusta.org

CSRA Partnership for Community Health: www.csrapch.org

Richmond County Project Access: www.rcprojectaccess.org

Doctors Direct of the CSRA: www.doctorsdirect-csra.com

And don't forget the $4 Generic Prescription deals available at

Wal-Mart: www.walmart.com,

Target: www.target.com,

Kroger: www.kroger.com/generic/Pages/default.aspx, and other drugstores. Too many folks pay more for a plan so that it has coverage for name-brand drugs, when most of their prescriptions are available in generic form. Why waste premium AND dollars at the pharmacy?

And if you don't know quite what to do or where to turn, just ask me! If I can't help you, I'll help you find someone who can.

Got coverage?

Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment