Wednesday, September 29, 2010

9/23/10, just another day?

One of many days that will live in infamy. In the insurance business. Yep, whether you like health care reform or not, it will affect you eventually. And the insurance lady will be here to explain it all. (Eventually.)


See, we're still waiting for some of the new stuff to get defined, much less started. But I'll be here to help when it does.


A potential client calls & explains to me their dilemma. Their insurance company won't cover a child's "pre-existing medical condition," even after a predefined one-year waiting period had been met. Whoops.


Likely, this condition may never need to be treated. Still, their current insurer says they won't cover anything related to it for at least one more year, even though last year they said no penalties after one year. Imagine what sports would be like if penalties were defined pre-game, but mid-game, the refs decided to make a change. HA.


This really stinks. So, I put on my thinking cap and advise this person to look into reapplying for a whole new plan. Hey, maybe even with a whole new insurance company. Because, as of 9/23/10, no carrier can deny that coverage to anyone under age 19. (But since their current plan was purchased BEFORE 9/23/10, they can.) Yep, magic date!


But said person's current agent didn't think about that when asked . . .


Nope, I'm not perfect either. But I'm good at creative thinking. I may have found a way to help this small business owner and their child. Let me know if I can ever help you.


And if you have questions or comments for me, please post them!

1 comment:

  1. FYI: This solution might've worked before insurance companies figured out they couldn't predict the cost of care for families in this type of situation. 400%! 400% above a normal family premium is what they (insurance companies) are charging for families with children who have a predicted or even slightly possible high cost of care. I don't blame them, they have to protect themselves. Sadly, Health Care Reform (UM, Health INSURANCE reform!) has NOT made insurance more available or affordable.

    Conundrum.

    ReplyDelete